Tuesday, July 06, 2004

"Suppose you get what you want."

"The blue ones are the most expensive, because the chemicals are so scarce," you said, as we watched the fireworks from my apartment window. And earlier, as we ate blueberries and talked of nothing in particular, you told me of the unique antioxidants found only in blue foods.

"Color commentary," I thought.

And, so now, I wait for purple pyrotechnics and stop to notice all the healing eggplants stacked upon one another in the grocery aisle before moving on. Isn't it amazing how the scarce can surround in abundance, be on a dinner plate and light the night sky?

And we sat on the couch, light flashing through the window, then waiting for the slow crash of sound that followed lazily behind -- I forgot about the awkward way fireworks can remind us of the dislocation between what is seen and what is heard, and reached, instead, for another blueberry.

No comments: